Applying for a Louisiana Optometry LicenseThe LSBOE Optometry Licensing Exam will be administered in-person July 9-10, 2021, at Willis-Knighton Eye Institute - North, in Shreveport, LA.
For general information regarding the LSBOE Licensing Exam, click here.
For a printable application to take the LSBOE Licensing Exam, click here.
For a study outline for the LSBOE Licensing Exam, click here.
For reference, a detailed agenda from the 2020 LSBOE Licensing Exam can be found here.
To apply for a new license to practice Optometry in the state of Louisiana, state law requires that applicants/candidates shall:
(1) Be citizens of the United States, of good moral character.
(2) Have graduated from an approved high school or school maintaining a similar standard.
(3) Have graduated from a school or college of optometry approved by the board and hold the graduate level Doctor of Optometry degree.
(4) File with the secretary of the board upon the form furnished an application under oath stating that he fulfills each requirement of this Section and include with the application the papers required by R.S. 37:1050.
(5) Pass the examination required by R.S. 37:1051.
(6) Have reached the required level of performance on those parts of the examination administered by the National Board of Examiners in Optometry required by the board and cause to be furnished to the secretary of the board a true written copy of the score report of such national board examination.
(7) Have demonstrated that they have reached the qualification level necessary to become certified to treat abnormal conditions and pathology of the human eye and its adnexa as set forth in R.S. 37:1051, and the rules and regulations established, published, and administered by the board.
(8) Meet the credentialing requirements of the board to perform authorized ophthalmic surgery procedures.
Further, the application required by R.S. 37:1049 shall be accompanied by a certificate under oath of the applicant's credits from the schools of his graduation, by a photostatic copy of his diploma or certificate of graduation, by a true copy of the score report of the examination administered by the National Board of Examiners in Optometry required by the board, by the applicant's fee required by R.S. 37:1058, and by a photograph of the applicant. Failure to comply with these requirements shall constitute sufficient grounds to refuse the applicant the right to take the examination.
The application, together with the supporting documents, shall be filed with the Secretary-Treasurer of the LSBOE on or before 30 (thirty) days prior to the date set for examination unless, in the opinion of the board, the documents, through no fault of the applicant, are not available at this time.